Monday, July 25, 2011

One.

Tell me, Mom and Dad, what second love looks like,
'Cause this first-time-one-and-only love is getting so trite.
If divorce is the new black and second marriage the new white,
I think I'll skip the initial bullshit and head right to the end of my life.

Tell me what you find worth living for
When the first love you find starts to go sour.
If that promise can be broken,
We'll find a thousand other forevers, we'll be like waves in the ocean.

The swell begins and the good feelings rise.
We'll hardly notice our friends with concern in their eyes.
We'll ride the top of the wave, we'll make love in the sky,
And when we crash and drown we'll still tell everyone that we tried.

Tell me how you make it alone and sore
When the first love you find drops your heart on the floor.
If that promise can be broken,
I'll keep my heart a shelved book, empty pages, words unspoken.

God forbid I have children when the love finally dies;
I'd be up all night listening to their fatherless cries.
By the time I find my second it's too late to try
To convince them that love can be more than just feelings that lie.

1 comment:

  1. This is heartbreaking and beautiful. I'm breathless. Your talent is profound, Natalie. Keep writing!!

    ReplyDelete